Residential buildings have three options (one of which requires an opt-in by buildings in the month of January):
· Place trash out after 6:00 PM in a container with a secure lid,
· Place trash out after 8:00 PM if putting bags directly on the curb, or
· If a building has nine or more residential units, the property owner may opt into a 4:00 – 7:00 AM set-out window instead. PLEASE NOTE: The opt-in period runs each year for the month of January, which allows DSNY to design quick and efficient routes that take effect on April 1 each year. (nyc.gov/multiunitsetout).
Businesses that place the waste at the curb* for collection have two options:
- If using a container with a secure lid, place the waste at the curb 1 hour before closing, or
- If putting bags directly on the curb, place waste out after 8:00 PM
* This does not apply to businesses that have waste collected from a loading dock.
For both residential properties and businesses, setting out too early could result in fines of $50 for a first offense, $100 for a second offense, and $200 for third and subsequent offenses within a 12-month period. There will not be a grace period or warning period—enforcement begins April 1, 2023.