Attached you will find the weekly sewer upgrade advisory.
We're all aware of the sewer work but what I didn't realize, until now, is that the project also entails replacing old water mains within the scope of the project - 69th Street from Queens Boulevard to 48th Avenue; 69th Street and 51st Avenue along 70th Street to the Long Island Expressway. This came to my attention when I asked a worker why "no parking" signs were being posted on 70th Street between 52nd Drive and 53rd Avenue where I live. The worker told me they will be "cutting the street" but will not be opening it up until they put in a temporary water main. i was curious why they said residents would get a 72-hour advance advisory for water interruptions for the sewer project. Now I realize it's because they will also be working on our water mains!
There is some information that I think folks need to know.
- Water main work (20", 12" and 8" diameter water mains (reconstruction of approximately 4000 linear feet)
- Weekend or night work near a school as needed as permitted by NYC DOT
- Night work at Grand Avenue (commercial coordinator) as permitted by NYC DOT
- Other areas - daytime or as needed (with community consultation)
- Curbside, driveway, and parking will be temporarily restricted during construction.
- Express, private and/or local bus stops will be temporarily relocated/rerouted.
- Anticipated merchant deliveries will be coordinated.
- Garbage/trash pick-up may be affected - will be coordinated with community, DSNY and BIC.
- Pre-construction photos will be taken outside of homes.
- Rodent mitigation is included in the contract.
- Tree pruning will be performed prior to the start of major work.
- Engagement with NYPD, FDNY and all relevant agencies.
- Storage areas determined through NYC DOT.
Roe Daraio, President
COMET Civic Association