It was an informative meeting last night but the news isn't good. Northern Maspeth is getting hit hard with burglaries, west Maspeth has been hit as well. Some of these burglaries occurred at night and in a couple of instances people were home. I am also listing the burglaries in Elmhurst and Winfield/Woodside. Please alert all your neighbors!!
Please make sure your doors and windows are locked and secured. Keep a light on, especially at the rear of your home where the perpetrator can't be seen from the street. Call 911 if you see anyone suspicious in the area!! Night residential burglaries are a big concern since oftentimes people are home. Most burglars don't want to confront people.
As for the Holiday Inn, we were told there's now 100 men "living" there. The number will surely climb. There are one to two men per room.
Northern Maspeth - Burglaries
- 52nd/70th Street - a shed was burglarized sometime between October 8th and 10th.
- 69th/53rd Avenue - rear window was broken sometime between 8:45 pm and 10:00 pm on October 13th.
- 69th/53rd Road - basement and front door were forced between 8:00 pm and 11:45 pm on October 20th.
- 73rd/Grand - front door was forced sometime between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm on November 5th
- 54th/69th Pl - entry to home was made sometime between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm on November 5th.
- 61st/56th Street - rear door forced between 4:30 and 10:00 pm on October 19th.
- 59th/58th Avenue - rear entry between 8:30 pm and 9:12 pm on November 5th.
- 48th/59th Street - credit card stolen on October 22nd and reported at 3:30 pm.
- Garfield Avenue/67th - entry was made through the front and reported at 9:00 am on October 14th
- 82-15 Queens Blvd - two burglaries occurred via front doors on October 11th
- 84th/57th Rd - burglary reported at 6:30 pm on October 12th
- 55th/Seabury - rear entry sometime between 12:15 pm and 1:55 pm.
- 87-97 55th Avenue - the donation box was stolen from the Mosque but luckily there was no money in it.
A male black, approximately 6 feet tall, wearing a cap and layers of clothing - there is a "Bench Warrant" out for him for not appearing on his court date. The pastor from the First Presbyterian Church attended our meeting and told us she and her family were threatened at their home by this man who also came into the church and disrupted the service. He has exposed himself on several occasions in front of adults and children. He is most likely mentally disturbed. He has been seen near Italian Charities, in the "valley" area, on 57th Avenue near Crowley Park as well as on Van Horn Street, the 55th Avenue footbridge and PS 102. If you spot him call 911 and tell the Operator that he is wanted by the 110th Precinct for a past crime. You will get a quick response.
Roe Daraio, President
COMET Civic Association