I'll try to give this to you in a nutshell:
* Brooklyn wants a park in what is now being used as an Access-a-Ride parking lot for 150 vehicles.
* They looked around for city-owned properties to find another site for these Access-a-Ride vehicles and found one on 49th Street in west Maspeth - a block away from the huge MTA bus depot that currently houses 200 buses and a few blocks away from 59th/Maurice Avenue that has a parking lot for a bunch of paratransit vans. Are you beginning to see the problem here?
* The Brooklyn councilman who is pushing for this site did not speak with our Queens elected officials including Council Members Jimmy Van Bramer and Elizabeth Crowley.
* Brooklyn is trying to "sneak" this new depot into Maspeth behind our elected officials backs and our backs and one Brooklyn elected official said they're supporting this because Greenpoint is organized and has a loud voice. Do you get the picture??
* Council Member Van Bramer is fighting back with support from other electeds from our community but Comet needs your help to back up their efforts.
* We don't need more traffic, we don't need more pollution and most of all we don't want Brooklyn's Access-a-ride vehicles driving through OUR neighborhoods. We are not a dumping ground for other boroughs! Why should Brooklyn get a park
at our expense? Remember, we're trying to get a park at the St. Saviour's site. The City doesn't have $$ to get us a park, but they have the funds to move the Access-a-ride over to Queens and clean up the contaminated site! Brooklyn needs to find a site in Brooklyn.
* All I ask is that you pick up the phone and call the Brooklyn elected officials and tell them you are outraged by their sneaky tactics and we are prepared to fight back. Let's show them who's united! Their names/numbers are below: Pass this on to your friends, neighbors, family.
Councilman Stephen Levin @ 718-875-5200
Assemblyman Joseph Lentol @ 718-383-7474
Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez @ 718-599-3658