- Do not become a victim, do not allow strangers into your home
- Verify alleged water company conditions by calling 311 for connection to the Department of Environmental Protection
- To verify gas and electric issues, call Con Edison at 1-800-752-6633
- Do not hesitate to call 911
The Crime Prevention Section would like to share the following information to help you avoid becoming a victim of a deception burglary: If an unsolicited person(s) comes to your door offering work inside your home:
- o Do not open the door
- o Stay inside your home
- o Verify his/her I.D. through the view finder (peephole)
- o Contact the company to verify employee's legitimacy (company numbers may be looked up via internet or on your bill)
- o Keep a list of utility companies phone numbers in a convenient location
- o Do not invite anyone into your home while you verify a "work order."
- o If you can not verify the I.D., feel unsafe, or suspect criminal activity, call 911 immediately
NEVER give out any financial information, particularly ...
- Social Security Number
- Credit card information
- Bank account information