Some of you might have heard that Middle Village has had a string of burglaries. Some of these burglaries occurred during early morning hours when folks were sleeping.
If you don't live in Middle Village, you live close by. If the NYPD steps up patrols in one neighborhood, the burglars just move to another one and we're right next door.
Let's ACT, not REACT! We need act and secure our home before a burglar strikes rather than having to react after the crime happens.
- Burglars are looking for an easy entry. Make sure all doors and windows are locked and keep lights on outside, especially at the rear of your home.
- Don't leave patio furniture near a window. It can be used to gain entry into a window.
- Look out your windows often. If you have a community drive, check to make sure no suspicious vehicles are parked there. If something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't. Call 911. Provide as much info as possible, i.e. the make/model/plate number of the vehicle.
- Don't let shrubs obscure your windows!
- Leave on a light at night so burglars think you're awake.
- You can call your local precinct and ask to speak to your Crime Prevention Officer. He or she will visit your home and give you cost-effective tips on home to secure your home. These home security surveys are free of charge.
Comet Civic Association