I'm sorry to tell you that DI Michael Cody, 104th Precinct, was transferred today and is going to the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights. The new Commanding Officer of the 104th will be Captain Christopher Manson, formerly the Executive Officer of the 114th Precinct in Astoria . Those of you who had the opportunity to work with DI Cody, know what an asset he was to both the 104th as well as the community. He will certainly be missed! Captain Manson has big shoes to fill!
Don't forget - the 104th Community Council will be meeting next Wednesday, January 30th at Maspeth Town Hall at 7:30 pm. I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to say goodbye to DI Cody and meet the new Commanding Officer. Our Comet meeting will be on Monday, February 2nd at the Bethzatha Church at 85-20 57th Avenue. Mark you calendar!
Roe Daraio, President
Comet Civic Associationwww.cometcivic.com
Hi Everyone, We're still getting hit with burglaries! I'm listing the locations, but just because they're not in your immediate area doesn't mean the perpetrators won't move over to you. Crooks move from area to area to avoid getting caught!! Please pass this info on to others in the neighborhood including businesses! Stay alert!! Call 911 for suspicious activity!
104th Precinct - Maspeth - open burglaries
- 5/14, 3:30 pm, 66th/Clinton (residential), entered through basement window and removed property.
- 5/25, 8:45 pm, 58th/57th Rd (commercial), roof access.
- 5/27, 12:00 - 7:00 pm, 58th/58th Pl, (commercial vehicle), tools stolen.
- 5/27, 10:00 pm, 58th/59th St, (commercial) rear door.
- 5/29, 8:00-11 pm, 62nd/60th Pl, (residential), front window. TV and laptop stolen.
- 5/30, 12:00, (commercial), rear window.
108th Precinct - Winfield/Woodside - open burglaries(We weren't given specifics - Captain O'Toole couldn't attend)
110th Precinct - Elmhurst - open burglaries
- 52nd/73rd Street - St. Adalbert's - property from schoolyard.
- 54th Seabury - First Presbyterian Church, laptop stolen.
- 52nd/84th Street
- 85th/57th Avenue
Other crimes you need to be aware of:
- Purse snatched, QB/Woodhaven station.
- Robbery, 50th/69th at party. 108th Squad is investigating.
- Stolen cars: 66th/52nd Dr, 2006 motorcycle; 62nd/60th Pl, Ford Ecoline 350; 54th/65th Pl, 2001 Dodge Caravan.
- Items stolen from vehicles: 70th/47th Avenue; 69th/47th Avenue.
- Keep your house secure at all times, particularly first floor. Secure your air conditioner with screws so they can't be easily taken out. When you're out in the yard, lock up!! You might be in the front yard and someone gets in through the rear.
- Keep your shed/garage locked at all times. Don't leave out lawn mowers, etc. even for a few minutes.
- Don't flaunt your electronics when on subway or walking!
- If you carry a purse, keep valuables to a minimum and try not to carry anything in your purse you're not willing to lose.
- Don't leave any valuables in your car!!!
Roe Daraio, PresidentComet
Good morning I want to give you heads up about some overnight Burglaries in Middle Village area where perpetrators enter through open windows grab whatever valuables in plain view then flee.
I have extra patrols in area and have to coordinate with Detectives in hopes of catching those responsible.
Here are locations of Burglaries:
83 Place off 63 Avenue 5/10/12 from 0100-0700 hrs
77 Place off Juniper Valley Road: 5/10/12 from 0130-0630 hrs.
62 Avenue off 83 Street-this morning about 0100 Hours
I plan to have the Command Post in conspicuous area as well as Plainclothes units as well-as always will keep you posted and ask all to immediately dial 911 if any suspicious behavior is observed.
I'm on Vacation this week but in contact with Captain Travaglia and my staff evaluating this condition and will keep all advised.
All the best
Captain Michael Cody
- Comet was notified that last night or early this morning someone allegedly poured white paint on 4 parked cars on 54th Avenue between Seabury and Van Horn Streets in Elmhurst. We were told the police were called. If anyone finds damage such as this, please call the police like these folks did so the precinct can keep a record of where crime is occurring. Vandals tend to move around. Look out your window and if you see suspicious activity, call 911!
- Some folks in Elmhurst are finding snakes in their yards. These snakes are not poisonous and are very good for the environment. They like to eat mice too!! Just be aware of this when working in your yard.
- The rat problem on 74th/53rd Road - Council Member Crowley's office has notified the Health Department. We're waiting for a response from the agency.
- Graffiti swastikas were found in Maspeth a few weeks ago. A local newspaper showed a swastika graffitied on the railroad overpass at 48th Ave/69th St in Woodside in this week's paper. Please keep an eye out and report this activity!!
The 104th just called to let me know that an individual was arrested in connection with a car break in on Menahan Street and another on Grove Street. Alan Vega, male Hispanic, 46 years old, 5'9", carrying a backpack, was arrested at about 1:00 am this morning while riding his bicycle. He was caught with 3 GPS's, 3 I-Pods and cash. He has been arrested multiple times in Brooklyn. It is assumed that he might be responsible for the Maspeth incidents but with no video or eye witnesses it will be difficult, if not impossible, to charge him with the crimes. The investigation is still ongoing to see if other precincts can connect him to incidents in their commands. By the way, this individual was arrested as a result of a 911 call by a resident. Please do not assume this is the only person doing car break ins. Do not leave items in your vehicles. Don't forget the crooks stealing rims/tires are still on the loose! I heard back from the 110th Precinct. According to PO Garland, there were no reports of rims/tires being taken off vehicles in our section of Elmhurst. One Comet member insists her nephew's tires were stolen but apparently a report wasn't filed nor was one filed for the vehicle in the vicinity of Crowley Park. NO REPORT, NO CRIME STATISTIC, NO ADDITIONAL POLICE COVERAGE IN OUR AREA. PO Garland did tell me we had one robbery in the vicinity of Broadway/51st Avenue. A woman was pushed and her cell phone was stolen. Please keep your electronics out of sight! And please, report crime!
COMET is sponsoring this month's COP104 meeting at Maspeth Town Hall. Please make an effort to attend.